Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Complaint: Budget Van Lines & Golden Hands Movers

Complaint re: Budget Van Lines & Golden Hands Movers

Complaint re: Budget Van Lines & Golden Hands Movers

Good afternoon,



I'd like to submit a complaint regarding Budget Van Lines of New York and Golden Hands Movers of Maryland. I hired Budget to move my property from Virginia to Texas. Apparently, Budget is merely a broker and not an actual carrier, though I was not informed of that until a couple days before my move, when I discovered that Golden Hands Movers would actually be moving my items. After many problems getting anyone on the phone, I eventually discovered my pick-up date and was told that I could obtain supplemental insurance when the movers arrived with my paperwork. This turned out to be false and Golden Hands refused to sell me supplemental insurance. Unfortunately, by that time, I could not make alternative arrangements for the move and had to go forward.



The move has turned out to be a total nightmare. Golden Hands failed to deliver many items - four boxes, my tool box and tools, and my mattress and box spring. What was delivered has extensive damage: boxes were crushed and gouged - some even arrived ripped open - all of my furniture has damage, bookcases were crushed beyond repair, and my washer/dryer unit was destroyed. The delivery driver was frighteningly inept. First, even though he arrived without notice in an unmarked truck that was different from the truck my items were loaded onto, he would not even show me that my property was on-board before I handed him $1000 in cash. As soon as I paid, he mentioned that there were "a lot of problems" with my move, and that was an understatement. As the unloading went on, it became apparent that the driver had some problems of his own. He spent much of the day on the phone and eventually mentioned that he had to "get on a plane" because his brother has a gambling problem and if the brother's bookie was not paid $2000, "someone was going to get killed." By that point, the driver discovered that my mattresses had been delivered to another customer. He stated that he didn't really want to have to go get them, and offered my $100 for them, which I refused. He left shortly thereafter to get them (or to take care of the gambling thing... who knows?) and I never saw him again. He now claims that I refused to accept redelivery of the mattresses, which Golden Hands seems to think absolves it of any liability for my missing and damaged goods. Golden Hands also seems to think that it is not in the wrong because I refused to sign the inventory form and the driver said "everything was delivered." The driver refused to do an inventory before leaving, telling me that he was not required to do so; not surprisingly, I refused to sign and my subsequent inventory uncovered the other missing items.



The only thing that has been worse than dealing with Golden Hands has been dealing with its "claims department," which is actually a separate business with a history of problems with consumers - the Better Business Bureau lists approximately 30 complaints against them this year alone. My conversations with them have been fraught with hostility and the "claims adjustors" have told outright lies regarding their obligations to settle my claim (I confirmed this via a conversation with a representative of the American Moving and Storage Association, of which Golden Hands and the claims department are members). I expect to have to litigate this matter.



I am happy to talk to anyone who is considering using Golden Hands or Budget to tell them more about my experience. Please add my information to your database and let me know if you require any additional information.



Thank you,



Shannon Lang

434 882-1849

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


All India home and office relocation services provider. Click below link to know more…
Ppackers and movers Noida
Packers and movers Delhi
Ppackers and movers
Faridabad packers and movers
Ghaziabad packers and movers